Losing a friend

It seems like it all happened so fast. The running around and training, keeping a careful watch on her when we let her out. I got her at the end of 9th grade. She has been with me through high school, and 2 college graduations. We have been through breakups together. She has always been my baby.You know, Silence means they are up to something!
In this case she wasn't up to anything. A couple of months ago she wasn't herself. No barking like crazy when someone walked by the house, even when we came inside, she would barely get up to greet us. I had taken her to the vet before all of this started. They treated her for Lyme. During that visit they mentioned that her kidneys weren't healthy and we discussed the price of the next visit. The money wasn't there for me. I look back now and wish I did something sooner.
Kidney failure in dogs is not fun. It happened slowly. First her puppy-like personality started to fade then weight loss.  I was at her side the past couple of nights. She had some episodes of seizures that I had never experienced with a human, let alone a dog. Last night was the final countdown. I could feel it. The only thing I could do was be close to her and let her know that I was there for her. It was the most difficult thing to watch but I'm glad it happened naturally. I had an appointment today to put her down. I think that would've been tougher than what I experienced.
Lady is in a better place now. All I can do is keep living life with her in my heart; the closest she will ever be to me.

Lady January 2003- March 2015
Kisses <3

Comments